*Updated June 9th, 2011*
Here is a list of resources online that are in the midst of the discussion regarding the role of speculators in driving the price of oil sky high. Let us know if we’ve forgotten some important / useful articles. We’ll be continually updating this post with new articles so check back frequently.
Correlation Between Speculators and Oil Prices
- Mike at About.com talks about the root causes.
- Removing speculators will help reduce price? not so fast.
- About.com again provides a resource showing the wide variation amongst ‘experts’ regarding future price of oil.
- Econbrowser on the role of speculators on world oil price.
- PDF on why speculation is not a problem from the IER.
- Hamilton v. Krugmen and others on yay or nay re: speculation and oil prices.
- A question for Krugmen from Kling (debate continues, check these two out).
- July 8 updates, 2008:
- America needs a scapegoat.
- The economist says no way to speculation warning politicians to watch what they say.
- Nixonian fallacy in the. Washington Post
- Shoot speculators! Not so fast…..says Newsweek
- Spot markets v. futures markets. Are they connected?
- Another academic, this time from Harvard, lines up to sayno way to oil speculators.
- Learn more about the problem created by worldwide oil demand adjustmentsdue to Chinese oil consumption. Declines expected in 2008?
- 2009, OPEC blames speculators
- Are speculators responsible? Forbes piece
- Blames QE2
- Obama blames speculators.
What’s your take? We’d love to hear from you. If you have a longer article you’d like to post let us know and we’ll feature you here.